About Dr. Fernandez
Dr. Alberto L. Fernandez, obtained his veterinary degree from Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine in 2004, and graduated with honors. Following graduation from veterinary school, Dr. Fernandez left academia to work in private practice, dedicating himself to emergency and critical care. He completed a residency in emergency and critical care here at Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists in 2011, and became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (DACVECC) in 2012.
Dr. Fernandez worked as an Associate Professor at St. George’s University School of Veterinary Medicine in Grenada, West Indies. He was appointed Assistant Medical Director of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital Small Animal Clinic and an Associate Professor in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery. Prior to joining CCVS in 2014, he worked at a Specialty Referral practice in Miami, FL.
• 2011: Residency Emergency and Critical Care Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists Buzzards Bay, MA
• 2005: Trevor Zoo Medicine Fellow, Trevor Zoo, Millbrook, NY
• 2004: Doctor Veterinary Medicine, Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, West Indies
• 1999: B.S. Agriculture, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus, Puerto Rico
American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care; Diplomat 2012
• 10/14- current: Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists, Buzzards Bay MA. Diplomat ACVECC
• 10/13- 11/14: South East Veterinary Referral Center, Miami Fl.Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
• 07/11 – 07/13: St. Georges University, School of Veterinary Medicine.Associate Professor. Assistant Medical Director Veterinary Teaching Hospital
• 01/08- 06//2011: Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists, Buzzards Bay MA. Resident Emergency and Critical care
• 08/07-1/08: Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists, Buzzards Bay, MA, Doctor Veterinary Medicine
• 1/06 – 08/07: Valley Cottage Animal Hospital and Emergency Clinic, Valley Cottage, NY, Doctor Veterinary Medicine
• 1/05- 5/07: T.A.R.A. (The Animal Rights Alliance), Monticello, NY, Doctor Veterinary Medicine
• 6/05-1/06: Animal Emergency Clinic of Kingston, Kingston, NY, Doctor Veterinary Medicine
• 10/04-8/05: Animal Emergency Clinic of the Hudson Valley, Poughkeepsie, NY, Doctor Veterinary Medicine
• 1/00-4/01: San Pablo Hospital, Dr. Pedro J. Beauchamp IVF Clinic, Bayamon, Puerto Rico, Embryologist
• 5/99-5/00: Puerto Rico National Zoo, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, Veterinary Assistant
• 6/99-12/99: Rigau Farms, Sabana Grande, Puerto Rico, Agronomist
• 8/98-8/99: University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus – Research Station, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, Research Coordinator
• 1/99-12/99: University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, Research Assistant
• 8/98-12/98: Avian reproduction project development (i.e.,site implementation, daily health checks and data collection).
University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, Research Assistant
Field Work Coordinator.
Evaluation of the resistance of Haemonchuscontortus to common anthielmintics in goats.
Awards & Honors
• SVECCS Outstanding Clinician Award 2012
• Dean’s List 8/02 – 9/04
• Veterinary Colleague Award 2003
• Small Animal Surgery Team 2003
• Soccer Scholarship 8/96 – 12/99