About Dr. Henry
With decades of experience in surgical care, teaching, research and leadership, Dr. Henry is one of the country’s most prominent veterinary surgical specialists. He has worked with referring veterinarians and pet owners in New England for over 25 years.
Dr. Henry was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. Upon completion of his residency training requirement, he passed his specialty board examination. At the time, he was one of two veterinarians, outside of a university/teaching hospital, to accomplish this goal because of his specialty credentials and expertise in the diagnosis and management of surgical disease.
Dr. Henry devotes a portion of his time to teaching, lecturing students, and publishing scientific papers. He also lectures and teaches general practitioners through national, state and local veterinary organizations.
While skilled and experienced with virtually all aspects of veterinary surgical care, Dr. Henry’s primary interests and areas of expertise include the diagnosis, medical management and surgical treatment of lameness, management of hip dysplasia, spinal disease, ear disease, complicated fracture care and knee joint injuries.
• Ohio State University, Pre-Veterinary Medicine accelerated program, 1955-1957
• Ohio State University, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Cum Laude 1957-1961
• Internship, Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, 1961-1962
• Surgical Residency, Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, 1962-1965
• Director of Surgical Services, South Shore Veterinary Associates, 1965-1995
• Director Veterinary Services, Veterinary Centers of America, 1995-1996
• Associate Orthopedist Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, 1975-1994
• Clinical Professor of Surgery, Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, 1980-1994
• Board certified in surgery by examination, Diplomate American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 1968
• Elected President, American College Veterinary Surgeons, 1981
Areas of Expertise
• Lameness: Diagnosis and medical and/or surgical management.
• PENN Hip Evaluation: For juvenile hip dysplasia and mature breeding dogs.
• Surgical Management of Hip Dysplasia: JPS surgery, TPO’s, FHO’s
• Spinal Disease: Intervertebral Disk Disease, Cervical, Thoracolumbar and Lumbo-sacral.
• Chronic Ear Disease: From tumors, chronic infection: Both middle and outer ear (TECA, Bullaosteotomy).
• Management of severe or complicated fractures of limbs, pelvis and spine.
• Correction of Hereditary Limb Abnormalities: Luxating patella and growth plate abnormalities and injuries.
• Knee Joint Injuries: ACL and PCL, meniscal injuries and multiple ligament injuries.
• Joint Cartilage Surface Injuries: Shoulder, elbow, hip, knee and tarsal.
• Head and Neck surgery:Jaw fractures, Mandivulectomy, Maxilectomy, Total ear ablation, Bullae Osteotomy, Stenotic Nares, Soft Palate Resection, Laryngeal Sacculectomy.
• Abdominal Surgery: Gastropexy, Intestinal, Uro-genital, Abdominal mass resection.