About Dr. Walton
Dr. Karie Walton grew up outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and obtained her veterinary degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine in 2012. After graduation, Dr. Walton completed a rotating internship with VCA in Delaware followed by a residency in emergency and critical care here at Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists in 2016. After completing her residency, she joined our team as Criticalist. She is also now our Director of Nurse Training and the Director of our Residency Program. Dr. Walton became a board certified Criticalist in 2017. When she is not at work, Dr. Walton enjoys reading, hiking, cooking, playing board games, traveling, and spending time with her family (which includes two older canines).
- 2008: BS Biological Sciences with a minor in Psychology, Drexel University College of Arts and Sciences and Pennoni Honors College
- 2012: Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- 2012-2013: Small Animal Rotating Internship, VCA Newark in Delaware
- 2013-2016: Residency in Emergency and Critical Care, Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists Buzzards Bay, MA
- 2005: GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, Collegeville, PA. Assistant Scientist
- 2006: Centocor Research and Development Inc, Wayne, PA. Assistant Scientist.
- 2007-2011: Animal Critical Care Specialty Group at Veterinary Referral Center, Malvern, PA. ES/ICU Nursing Assistant.
- 2012-2013: VCA Newark, Newark, DE. Veterinary Intern.
- 2013-2016: Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists, Buzzards Bay, MA. Resident/ Chief Resident in emergency and critical care
- 2016-Current: Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists, Buzzards Bay, MA. Criticalist and Director of Nurse Training
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (2017)
- Reineke E, Walton K, and Otto C. Evaluation of an oral electrolyte solution for treatment of mild to moderate dehydration in dogs with hemorrhagic diarrhea. JAVMA 2013:243(6) p 851-857.
- Walton K and Otto CM. Feline Rodenticide Exposure: To Perform Gastrointestinal Decontamination or Not. Poster session presented at: the 18th International Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Symposium; 2012 Sep 8-12;
- San Antonio, TX. (Pending publication)
Awards & Honors
- 2003-2008 AJ Drexel Academic Scholarship
- 2004 Dean’s Award for Outstanding Academic Performance as a Freshman
- 2008 Senior First Honors in Biological Science
- 2014 BlackwellKing’s Critical Care Resident of the Year
- 2015 Chief Resident at Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists