About Dr. O’Marra
Dr. O’Marra graduated from Tufts Cumming School of Veterinary Medicine. After graduating, she completed a rotating internship in Denver, CO before returning to Tufts to complete a residency in Emergency and Critical Care. After completing her residency, Dr. O’Marra returned to Denver to practice as Director of Emergency and Critical Care and Intern Director for three years. She has returned home to Massachusetts to join the Critical Care team at CCVS and currently leads the Residency Program. Dr. O’Marra’s research has been on coagulation and platelet disorders, and she has a special interest in sepsis, trauma and transfusion medicine. When she’s not working, Dr. O’Marra enjoys bicycle touring, reading, and spending time with her two cats Whiskey and Templeton, and her dog, Bailey.
• 1995-1997: Oberlin College, Bachelor of the Arts – Neuroscience
• 2002-2006: Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
• 2013-Present: Criticalist, Residency Director, Cape Cod Veterinary Specialists
• 2010-2013: Director of Emergency Services, Intern Director, VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital
• 2006-2007: Alameda East Veterinary Hospital – Rotating internship in small animal medicine and Surgery; Denver, CO
• 2007-2010: Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine/Tufts Veterinary Emergency Treatment and Specialties – Residency in Emergency and Critical Care; North Grafton, MA and Walpole, MA
• 2010: Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
Areas of Special Interest & Expertise
• Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia
• Fluid resuscitation
• Worksheet author, RECOVER initiative.
Rozanski EA, Rush JE, Buckley JG, Fletcher DJ, Boller M, the RECOVER Advanced Life Support Domain Worksheet Authors. RECOVER evidence and knowledge gap analysis on veterinary CPR. Part 4: Advanced life support. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2012, 22:S44–S64.
• O’Marra SK, Shaw S, DeLaforcade AM. Investigating hypercoagulability during treatment for immune-mediated thrombocytopenia: a pilot study. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2012; 22:126-30.
Selected for IVECCs Year in Review 2012
• O’Marra SK, DeLaforcade AM, Shaw S. Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia in the dog: 73 cases (2002-2008). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011; 238:346-52.
• Taeymans O, O’Marra SK. Imaging diagnosis–acquired goitrous hypothyroidism following treatment with trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole. Vet Rad Ultrasound 2009; 50:442-444.
• O’Marra SK, McCormick CK. Organization and connections of the dorsal descending nucleus and other presumed acoustic areas in the brainstem of the teleost fish, Astronotus ocellatus.
Hearing Research 1999; 129: 7-19.